Firefighters’ Parasites Came from Barn Fire, Report Finds

207

Credit: Firefigher photo via Shutterstock

Firefighters’ Parasites Came from Barn Fire, Report Finds

Twenty firefighters inِ the Midwest becameِ infected withِ a gastrointestinal parasite afterِ responding toِ a fire inِ a barn whereِ 240 week-old calves wereِ kept, according toِ a report today fromِ the Centers forِ Disease Control andِ Prevention (CDC).
The men reported symptoms suchِ asِ diarrhea, abdominal cramps andِ fatigue, andِ it isِ likely thatِ othersِ who hadِ no symptoms wereِ alsoِ infected, theِ report said.
Water fromِ a swimming pond nearِ the barn wasِ usedِ toِ extinguish theِ fire; itِ was likelyِ contaminated withِ fecal matter fromِ the animals.

Cryptosporidium is not inactivated readily by alcohol-based hand sanitizers.

This story was provided by MyHealthNewsDaily, a sister site to LiveScience.